Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Dead air by Iain Banks






















I have finally finished reading Dead air. It wasn't too much of a struggle, but it wasn't that much of an enjoyable ride either.

I am not saying that it is all bad, but I personally think it is far, far away from being back on the top of the pile. My first concern comes from the fact that it doesn't flow as nicely as some of his previous books. At moments I felt that he was competing with himself, with previous books, rather than let the story develop more naturally. It is like listening to a new album by Red hot chili peppers. It is trying to sound like its old self, completely ignoring that it is the same person writing the damn thing.

Sadly some of the best moments are 'arguments' or 'rants' that the main character is having about either terrorist attacks, the war on terror, Israel and all those 'controversial' issues. The problem I found was the fact is that an incredible number of people are very aware of the on going argument and most people that I know would agree with him. The problem is that it feels that it was written just to upset people. If I want to read those arguments I simply buy the news papers or read John Pilger.

One thing that seriously disappointed me was the fact that it is to some extent a love story. Nothing wrong with that but though some incidents add an edge to it, it still has a happy ending and it doesn't quite fit in. The grim feeling and scene we encounter on the penultimate chapter washes down by the time you read the second page of the last chapter. In essence is an Iain Banks book, but to me it felt more like a ghost writer filling in for him and going through a check list. Everything that one would expect to be there, is there, but it is rather vacuous.


It didn't help that a third into the book I had two potential images for the main character. One of them was Ricky Gervais and the other was Mr. Banks himself. You can't take it seriously after that. Even worse was when I reached the half way point. Mr. Gervais and Mr. Banks fused into one to become the main character. Their fusion resulted in none other than Rory McGrath. The rest is down hill.


Though one is redeemed by a glimpse of the straight-forwardness, simplicity and wit of the Iain Banks one has read and respects. This brief glimpse comes in the shape of chapter 10 'Location, location, location'. Though that chapter might not justify purchasing the book, nor dismissing it completely. I would advise you to have a cheeky look next time you are in a book shop.

No comments: